Saturday 5 October 2013

15mm Buildings for my ATZ games...

15mm Buildings for my ATZ games....

In the past I've used cardstock buildings (from WorldWorks) for my ATZ games and I really like the look of them, a sort of 'grubby urban' feel that you just can't get with painting plastic buildings unless you are a black-belt with a brush and spent about a gazillion hours using washes and weathering powders etc.




However, having recently dug my buildings out of storage I realised the fragility of card! Not many had survived intact and so the Town Council of Fifteen Mills-Ville decided it was time to launch a major rebuilding project.

Which way to go?


I'd recently been inspired by my visit to Colours with that well-known evildoer Spendlove, by the incredible range of mdf buildings now being manufactured in 15mm. However, I didn't like the 'uniform' look of the painted versions (or the price) but could appreciate their robust construction....So what to do?

A quick look on t'interweb revealed a few producers of 15mm buildings, even fewer in the UK (postal charges on mdf from the US killed the option of ordering from them), with only a couple offering painted versions, which again looked too uniform and clean to my tastes....

So I then hit upon the idea of using mdf buildings for their robust construction but covering them with WorldWorks 'skins' to get the look I like and the variety of buildings I crave.

A solution is found....


After consideration I ordered some shop models from MadMechaGuy who is UK based, had great email communication and good prices.

Two days later I received a package with that lovely slight burnt-wood smell Yippee!!!



Postage time was pdq and the items were packed really well and so 'test construction' began...





The models are well made, fit together well and are simple to build, it took me a while to decide upon the which combinations of walls I wanted for my models but eventually I decided upon what I was going to build with my mdf collection, and so the first model was an mdf version of Mayhem Armoury from WorldWorks...

Bob's Bullets....


Here we have WIP pictures of the ground floor.....



...and with the as yet 'uncovered' upper floor Apartment...


..and after a couple of more hours, I completed versions of the Apartment and the Garage/ Auto Shop as well.

I'm very happy with the results which give me good solid robust buildings with the look I want at a very reasonable price. MadMechaGuy has also agreed to my suggestion to build a multi-storey car park and I've asked him if he can make his windows and doors square rather than 'round-edged' (not easy to cut the curves neatly!).

Next builds will be a two storey Pool Hall/ Bar, a Seven-Eleven and a fast food joint, by which time I hope to get my hands on the Car Park!






As I say, I'm very happy with these, I think they'll survive the ravages of gaming and storage, they look great, (in my opinion), were fun to build and I can't wait to get them 'on the table'....




No comments:

Post a Comment